There’s no mystery that running is a fantastic exercise to take on when you want to lose weight or keep up a healthy body weight, but there are a lot of additional benefits of running, as well.
The following are some of the top benefits of running on a regular basis, aside from being great for keeping your weight where it should be.
- It’s fantastic cardio – running is extremely good for your heart. Even slow paced running for five to ten minutes per day has been linked with a considerably lower risk of cardiovascular disease. This was shown in an important study published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.
- It strengthens your joints – a study published in the Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise journal, involving data from almost 100,000 runners and walkers determined that these activities actually strengthen, not harm, your joints. Osteoarthritis is reduced even in people who regularly run up to 26.2 miles. Runners also experienced knee injuries half as much as walkers.
- It makes you happy – the “runner’s high” isn’t just an expression. It’s actually something that happens. When running, your brain releases two very powerful chemicals that function to make you feel better. After only a handful of minutes of running, you will already start to feel better. When you run on a regular basis, you will feel happier, overall.
- It lets you eat more – running is one of the best exercises that you can do to blast through calories. So if you want to be able to eat more every day, or if you’re really into rich foods, then keep up that running habit!
- It gives you awesome legs – this is pretty much the ultimate leg muscle workout, so if you’re looking to get the best look out of your calves, inner and outer thighs, and your behind, then this might be the best choice for you.
- It gives you a surprising core workout – your abs and other core muscles are all given a great workout when you run, particularly when you swing your arms as you go. It is fantastic for stabilizing your spine and drawing in your middle.
- It is easy to fit it into a schedule – Even without a gym or a lot of time, you can squeak in enough to reap the substantial benefits of running. You just need a good pair of running shoes and five to ten minutes and you’ll have everything you need for a workout that will have an impact on your health and happiness.